Length: 314 pages
Genre: Fiction, Fantasy
Author: Catherine Webb
Mirror Wakes is the brilliant sequel to Mirror Dreams (click here to read my review). Book 2 is a lot darker than the first and introduces an interesting idea; what happens when your mind corrupts your dream?
I really felt that this was the perfect sequel. Just before Mirror Wakes arrived in the post, I read Paper Fury's blog called "10 Reasons Why Sequels Are More Terrifying Than The Zombie Apocalypse" and I thought she raised some excellent points! So I'm going to use them as a check list for this review. So here we go...
1. YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED IN THE FIRST FREAKING BOOK.
These books have been out for a while now, so I didn't have this problem.
2. AND WHILE YOU’RE WAITING FOR 12 MONTHS FOR ANSWERS, YOU END UP MAKING UP YOUR OWN.
This doesn't really apply, as I haven't read all the books yet and therefore I am rarely reading the "came-out-at-midnight-and-haven't-slept-since" new books. Not since Harry Potter anyway.
3. PUBLISHERS GET A LOT OF JOY OUT OF PRINTING SEQUELS AT DIFFERENT SIZES.
This one tickled me. It is a massive pet peeve, but not something I'd really noticed. I usually just get annoyed at different sized books when they don't fit on my book shelf and have to lie down on top of the other books.
But I am happy to announce that the publishers have made both books exactly the same size. Even the font is the same!
4. THEY START KILLING EVERYONE OFF THAT I LOVE.
I can't really answer that. What about the people that haven't read it?! If there's one thing I hate it's spoilers!
5. NOTHING ACTUALLY HAPPENS BECAUSE EVERYONE’S TOO BUSY HAVING A MENTAL BREAKDOWN AFTER BOOK #1 TRAGEDIES.
We have a pretty sound plot line in this book guys. It does touch on the fact that our protagonist bottles up his emotions and will probably have some sort of break down in a few hundred years, but luckily that is not in this book!
6. DON’T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE FAMED “SEQUEL TROPES”.
I'm afraid here we may not be doing so well. Leanan Kite (main character) saves the Universe in the first book and due to some ambitious crazy, he has to save the Universe again in the second. Not going to lie, I'm OK with it.
7. EXTREME CASES OF DEJA VU WHICH MAY HAVE DANGEROUS SIDE EFFECTS OF HEADACHES, NAEUSA AND HAIR LOSS.
Nope, although the general basis of the book is very similar to the first, we definitely have a different plot. We are also introduced to a new darker idea. We are trying to save a mind that has been warped by drugs and has corrupted it's own dream into something evil. The perfect nightmare.
8. IT DRASTICALLY CHANGES FROM WHAT BOOK ONE GAVE ME.
Again, no. This sequel wins here too. This book was written and published no longer than a year after the first. The tone is exactly the same and our characters are as familiar as ever.
9. NO ONE ELSE HAS READ IT SO WHO DO I EVEN TALK TO ABOUT THIS.
This tickled me too. None of my friends read much anyway, so I rarely have someone to talk to about books.
10. IT’S ABSOLUTELY GINORMOUS AND IT’S GOING TO BREAK MY WRISTS TO HOLD THIS BEAST UP.
Nope. This book is a mere ten extra pages. I may have no upper body strength, but I think I can manage this one.
So I think it's safe to say that Mirror Wakes makes an excellent sequel. It doesn't fall into any of the traps that Paper Fury pointed out and I enjoyed it just as much, if not more than the first book!
Let me know if you've read this book. I'd love to know what you thought, or if you disagree with any of the above! I am now reading Sara Pascoe's Animal.
Chat soon and happy reading! xxx
Follow my blog with Bloglovin